Informal Settlements and Affordable Housing
Objectives and Scopes:
The commission aims to define how to create sustainable livelihoods in the informal settlements incorporating the inhabitants participation, and how the stakeholders can transfer the technology to assist the community in such settlements in the development or improvement of the settlement physical, social and economic conditions.
Detailed objectives of the commission are:
• to investigate informal settlements that have not previously been adequately researched and to present proposals for their improvement to create sustainable livelihoods incorporating people's participation.
• to educate to transfer technology and technical information and guidance on healthy settlements, housing and socio-economic improvements and to create conditions for technical and cultural exchange between the universities and scientific institutes, NGOs or other stakeholders to the communities in informal settlements.
• to create an international focal point for the collection, organisation and dissemination of research results related to enabling the provision of affordable housing and informal settlements world wide.
The scope of the research on informal settlements and housing includes: government regulations, informal settlements and housing policies and programmes, social-economic issues and people participation, housing design, housing delivery system, building technology transfer and guidance, land development, site planning and housing for special need groups, as well as housing in disaster situations.
Current Work Programme:
The following Phases and Activities are distinguished in the commission's work programme:
• Circulation by e-mail of the project and intended work plan, scope and term of reference for the project.
• Finalization of active project participants, roles and resources.
• Preparation of proposal for funding.
• Research, documented information from other researchers.
• Establish an information interchange network among researchers and practitioners
• Research progress presentation and meeting.
• Report on the information interchange network.
• Agreement on way forward for the project
• Finalization of continent reports
• Documentation of the research reports
• Publication and dissemination (Journal, conference)
• Final meeting
• Publication of articles in journals
• Publication of a Research Roadmap on Informal Settlements and Affordable Housing
* 2018: publication of a book on Informal Settlement and Affordable Housing in Support of HABITAT III Urban Agenda
The commission has a cooperation with ISAH: the Informal Settlements and Affordable Housing network Indonesia.
W110 was established in March 2005. The commission succeeds the former CIB Task Group TG40 - Informal Settlements - and incorporates the scope and objectives of the former CIB Working Commission W063 - Affordable Housing
|Edit date: 15-06-2018|