Smart and Sustainable Built Environments
Objectives and Scopes:
The Commission will focus on the integrated development of both smart and sustainable aspects of built environments and will drive high performance and innovative solutions towards enhanced sustainability. It will follow multi-disciplinary approaches that are based upon functional usage of and interaction with natural environments. Against this background the Commission's mission is:
• to promote best practices of integrated development of smart and sustainable built environments with knowledge transfer and benefits to all stakeholders.
The Commission's objectives are:
• to encourage global networking, foster awareness and promote understanding of smart technologies and sustainability issues in built environments
• to identify, collect, create, discuss, evaluate and disseminate information and knowledge on strategies and best practices for developing smart and sustainable buildings and infrastructure
• to analyse, develop and apply appropriate knowledge and transfer this to stakeholders
• to promote and facilitate international collaborative research, consultancy and professional education in this field.
Current Work Programme:
During the first five year period 2007 - 2012 the Commission's work programme seeks to:
• identify appropriate exemplar projects that are applicable to different parts of the world and promote their success stories
• develop and promote international and interdisciplinary research
• conduct CIB SASBE conferences, Commission meetings, workshops and other networking events
• facilitate information dissemination and knowledge management on research and best practices through Internet, CIB reports, books, conference proceedings and journals
• contribute to the CIB vision of being a globally recognized authority on sustainable construction.
• Regular and Special issues of the SASBE Journal
• 2019: Publication of a Draft Research Roadmap on Smart and Sustainable Built Environment For Discussion
• 2020: Publication of a Research Roadmap on Smart and Sustainable Built Environment
The Commission's work programme is coordinated by the Commission Coordinators and four Regional Sub-Coordinators for the regions: Africa, the Americas, Europe and Australasia. Their work will be supported by the Commission's Advisory Committee consisting of renowned academics and practitioners.
W116 has set up the CIB Encouraged Journal "Smart and Sustainable Built Environment"
Members of this CIB Working Commission will be Individual CIB Members or appointed representatives of CIB Organisational Members.
As per April 2007 CIB W116 replaces the former CB Task Group TG55
|Edit date: 12-02-2019|