Objectives and Scopes:
The objectives of the Task Group are:
• to develop evidence-based methods to improve the design and delivery of infrastructure from economic and social perspectives, using project and technology best practices
• to explore new technological approaches to understanding conditioning of existing infrastructures and novel approaches to their maintenance and repair.
The Task group aims to develop a Research Roadmap to identify greatest contributions and gaps to:
• evidence best practice for portfolio, program and project management of infrastructure design, delivery
and improvement, particularly in developing nations
• uncover emerging novel technical solutions and their relative merits compared to standard practices
• develop resilient and sustainable solutions for whole-life use.
The Task Group will focus on two research areas that respectively aim to:
• improve the design and delivery of infrastructure projects so that these can be effectively monitored and maintained, particularly later in their life cycle. Themes in this research area may include: whole-life design,
project delivery, embedded sensors, big data, sustainability and resilience
• develop more efficient and effective infrastructure monitoring techniques to detect defects and partial
failures before these become catastrophic or move to a point beyond repair. Themes in this research area may
include: robotic vision, advanced diagnostic and survey sensors, big data and spatial information, new
approaches to cost-benefit analysis.
Current Work Programme:
The Task Group will:
• run a series of workshops, both in-situ and online, to determine where research gaps lie to deliver solutions to the two focus research areas
• collaborate with other CIB Priority Themes and Commissions
• run a first conference as part of the CIB 2016 World Building Congress
• explore possibilities for industry and academic funding
• establish collaborative relations with the World Bank Group and GIH - the Global Infrastructure Hub.
• 2015 - run scope development workshops for different participants
- Infrastructure Scope Development Workshops: February in Washington DC, USA, in May, Durban, South Africa, in July, Kolkata, India and Others.
• 2016 - MOU's for collaboration with World bank and GIH
• 2016 - proceedings from a Task Group conference
• 2018 - publication Infrastructure Research Roadmap
The Task group aims to establish collaborative relations with the World Bank Group and GIH - the Global Infrastructure Hub.
Members of the Task Group have to be either Individual Member of CIB or appointed representative of a CIB Organisational Member.
The Task Group was established in March 2015 and has a mandate until the middle of 2018
|Edit date: 10-07-2018|